REREMICE 62 points (12 points without the bingo)
Definition: bats (flying mammals) [n/pl.]
But these aren't just ordinary flying bats. Reremice (or rearmice) are known more commonly as particolored bats, which is a medium-sized species in the family of Vesper bats. It's binomial name is Vespertilio murinus. Vespertilio literally means "bat" in Latin (the "Vesper" part refers to the evening... or twilight) and was coined by Linnaeus in 1758. Murinus roughly translates to "he who predates on mice". But it's more common name, particolored bats, obviously references the dorsal fur which has dark brown bases and silvery or grayish tips that give the back a frosty appearance.
Though named for something that hunts mice, reremice more frequently eat easier to catch prey, like mosquitoes, flies and moths.
Also: REARMICE [n/pl.]
Singular: REREMOUSE, REARMOUSE
Photo by Wikipedia
"Some war with reremice for their leathern wings." by Arthur Rackham (1908)
Photo by Subtlebody Images
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades