Scrabble Bingo of the Day: GEOPHAGY [n]
Geophagy is the practice of eating earth, especially chalk or clay, in famine-stricken regions. It applies to both wild animals and humans. When humans eat soil-like substances, it's usually to augment a scanty or mineral-deficient diet, or done as part of a cultural tradition in preindustrial rural societies, most often among children and pregnant women. But many impoverished societies eat earthy substances regularly because of food scarcity. Haitians are known to eat mud cookies, where three-quarters of the population earns less than two dollars a day.
Geophagy is also closely related to pica, an eating disorder characterized by cravings for non-food items, such as dirt or paper.
GEOPHAGIA [n/pl.] -S geophagy
GEOPHAGY [n/pl.] -IES the practice of eating earthy substances
* GEOPHAGISM [n/pl.] -S the act or habit of eating earth
* GEOPHAGIST [n/pl.] -S one who eats earth, as dirt, clay, chalk, etc.
* GEOPHAGOUS [adj] earth eating; feeding on soil
PICA [n/pl.] -S a craving for unnatural food
PICAL [adj] resembling a pica
* Only acceptable in Scrabble play outside of North America.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades